Tuesday, January 08, 2008

War Within Philippine Chess

The National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP) is headed for a split. As we reported here last month, there were rumours of a rebel faction that, at that time of my post, was still unknown in composition. Now, we can say that this is no longer just a rumour and we can even name the rebels' leader.

The Manila Bulletin has the details:

One faction, headed by NCFP secretary-general Abraham Tolentino, will hold an election on Jan. 19 in Tagaytay City. Tolentino is currently Tagaytay mayor.

Another group, spearheaded by NCFP executive director Sammy Estimo, will hold its own election on Feb. 2 at the multi-purpose hall of the Amoranto sports complex.

The 15-man NCFP board is divided on the issue with Estimo’s group enjoying the support of eight directors.

Read more in Chess War Brewing.

1 comment:

sibalomchess said...

Tsk tsk tsk. Why do they have to squabble? 2007 was a banner year for Philippine chess having produced two Grandmasters and Wesley So. I congratulate them. So please stop squabbling and think of the good times. I am organizing a monthly chess tournament in Sibalom Antique. My main purpose is to develop find new talents and provide the young players tournament opportunities which I have not enjoyed when I was their age. Where can I subscribe chess magazines? Is Chess Asia still in circulation? I would also want to buy chess books. Please email at jongrace64@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot.