Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Novel and a Painting

In today's Sun Herald, Grandmaster Ian Rogers writes a brief review of David Lovejoy's latest book, Moral Victories - The Story of Savielly Tartakower. The book was officially launched last month during the Sydney International Open in Parramatta. Photos are available here.

Rogers ends his article with, "The great Australian chess novel has not yet been written but 'Moral Victories' is a worthy aspirant; more remarkably a well-written and entertaining novel about a top level chess player".

And while I'm posting on Rogers, I should mention that yesterday I was at the Art Gallery of NSW to take a peek at this year's Archibald Prize. As I was walking around I just couldn't help thinking that the Australian chess maestro would make a pretty interesting subject!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Sounds interesting, but I'm a bit confused. Is the book a biography or a novel?

The Closet Grandmaster said...

An historical novel, a fictionalised account.

- TCG