Friday, September 19, 2008

Kosteniuk: I'm not ugly

Mention "chess" and something about a hottie Russian and you're very likely to find an item on chess in the mainstream media. And so it is that the Nine MSN picked up news of Kosteniuk's win in the Women's World Chess Championships.

Actually, they were just citing the UK's Telegraph paper to whom Kosteniuk reportedly said, "I am clever, so I can play chess; and I am not so ugly, so I can model".

Well OK then! All together now, I'm too sexy...

3 comments:

Will said...

She's cute but a model?

I must be getting old, just can't see why there is any need to sex up chess; it's just not sexy.
The European championships in Liverpool has attracted 30-40000 people watching the live games. Surel y that is more interesting than someone who has been told they are beautiful by hoards of chessplayers....

Garvin said...

Well apart from just cheap publicity from the tele and ninemsn (for us in aus), part of the main point is to show that all members of society play chess, including pretty girls and that they can be good at it.

It just counters the common mis-perception that only geeks and nerds play chess and that to play chess one must have extreme high intelligence.

Also if pretty girls are good at the sport, that usually leads to more boys playing as well.

Anonymous said...

This is one chess player that I wouldn't mind losing to. (Over and over.... :))