Wednesday, April 29, 2009

2009 ANU Open

Just received a Facebook invitation from Shaun Press to this year's Australian National University Open Chess event. I think I played there back in 2004, I can't remember exactly. It was my first and last time. The problem is hopping down to the nation's capital once a year is more than enough. After all, I was just down there for the Doeberl Cup. Plus, the ANU Open is also right smack bang in the middle of winter. And my God, in Canberra you'll freeze your ass off.

Anyway, it's actually a good event and held right in the country's most prestigious uni. If I were going, I'd pop down on a plane. Qantas currently has a special fare on offer for $69 one-way and I've just also checked Virgin Blue who have fares for $65, also one way. Note that these prices may not include extra charges for baggage, etc.

Oh, by the way, if you're heading down there and need a warm, cozy place to relax in after a hard day's OTB combat - pop into the Phoenix pub. It's on 21 East Row in Civic. Brilliant joint this - simple, rustic, good beers and good music.

No comments: