Monday, August 10, 2009

Argument Over Copyright

Not too many of our Aussie readers will have heard of Lars Grahn. He was founder of Swedish chess magazine Schacknytt and ran it from 1969 until 1990. More recently (2004-08) he was editor of Tidskrift för Schack. Then from 2007, he also began to write a blog.

While his blog is naturally in his native language, Mr Grahn's latest post is written entirely in English. In this one he was talking about a meeting with a certain Raymond Keene.

In that moment I showed a level of restraint I didn’t think myself capable of. I’m a peaceful man (I’ve never even been in a fight), but there and then I came as close as I’ll probably ever get to do what Sweden’s former world heavyweight champion Ingemar ‘Ingo’ Johansson did to Dick Richardson 2 minutes and 13 seconds into the eighth round in Gothenburg on 17 June 1962 to regain the European champion’s belt. Somehow I kept my pugilistic instincts in check, I didn’t punch Raymondo’s lights out.

That incident occured in 1983 and, as you can see, my fellow blogger was absolutely fuming! Find out why in Not so Keene on Copyright.

By the way, Lars Grahn is also a photographer himself and throughout his career it's quite obvious that he's managed to snap and collect thousands upon thousands of images. Luckily for us, he's sharing some of these historical pictures via his posts called "Talking Pictures". Here are the first four: photo 1; photo 2; photo 3; and photo 4.

My thanks to Lars for pinging me and sharing his collection of historical tidbits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Lars Grahn, not Gahn.