Monday, January 18, 2010

My First Japanese Tourney

It looks like I'm off to my first tourney in Tokyo. I got so excited that I actually thought it was last Saturday, so I got up early that morning and headed off to the edge of Tokyo, near the city's second airport, Haneda. Of course, it's actually this Sunday.

And yes, it's a 4-rounder! When you consider that the JPY5,000 entry fee is about AU$60, that's ahecofalot more expensive on a cost per game basis than the upcoming NSWCA Aussie Day tournament this weekend.

Yes, Tokyo is bloody expensive, including, as it now turns out, chess entry fees!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Jean

Anonymous said...

I'm paying 350 Norwegian crowns for a 5 round tournament this weekend. That's $65 aussie.

Anonymous said...

I managed to get first equal and win 670 crowns. The pairing system is a strange one though. Check out the Monrad system on wikipedia. Rating plays no part after the first round.